Saturday, October 9, 2010

You're Not Seventy-Two Yet

Today is John Lennon's birthday and I'm celebrating with a movie about the development of his immortal band. It's called Backbeat, and it's all about their time in Hamburg in the years immediately preceding their rise to superstardom, where they went from amateurs to pros, playing to crowds of drunken Germans.

I love all the Beatles, but I have a special place in my heart for John, who was an artist, and whose uncompromising vision kept the band alive through its leanest years. Stu Sutcliffe, an exceptional artist and friend of John, plays a key role in the story, as well as a bass guitar, much to Paul's chagrin - though Paul's musical perfectionism certainly served the band well later on.

It's a good show for Beatles fans, though there's no substitute for the real band members in that role, Monkees notwithstanding. I hope it has the approval of the band, itself.


[ May 12, 2014: Apparently Paul McCartney didn't like it. Oh well, after learning what others did to my life for profit, I fully understand his resentment.]

More Statements Scripts Songs

© 2010. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment