Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sorry About That

I wrote a few things about Jesus in some previous entries that I now see to have been the result of spiritual blindness. Next door they're playing the Hurdy Gurdy song by Donovan, and it reminded me of a sharp criticism I made of Christ's image on the cross. A Youtube user had chosen to insert this image in rather graphic detail, including closeups, on a homemade psychedelic video with that song as its soundtrack. At the time, I saw only torn up flesh and reacted with revulsion.

With the Protestant concept of the graven image to confuse me even further, what can you expect? Still, as terrible as it is for me to look upon someone in pain, I shouldn't have said what I said. It was disrespectful. While I tend to turn away from such extreme visual horrors, others take comfort in them. And we all want to feel better off than the next person. This, to my opened mind, is likely one of the popular needs he identified and addressed through his necessarily gruesome passion and execution.

More Statements Scripts Songs

© 2010. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment