Sunday, October 17, 2010

Next Best Thing

I'm in a great mood, having just come from church. (The Anglican service is almost identical to the Catholic one, and served me well by having it's doors open in the neighbourhood I was visiting.) I want to keep what I have to say in a positive vein, so please don't be upset by it.

To wish that you could write songs like me is to deny me any credit for my suffering. Lots of people write songs, but it takes hard suffering to give the music an edge. To learn the guitar is a physical struggle that most would find unappealing. Reading good books to fill your head with words is not a very popular activity for people with friends and TV sets. Giving way to the music in your head would leave you in a state of poverty for much longer than you would find comfortable.

Even after you gain recognition, you might find it hard to ride a bus when every single person on it knows your face and is talking about you behind your back. Strangers might make off with your music and make a fool of you in front of the whole world. And, after all that and much more, others will make you the target of their envy.

Are you sure you want to write songs like me now?

More Statements Scripts Songs

© 2010. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment