Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Serves Him Right

I had a troubling sleep last night. I might have woke up some of my neighbours with my loud grumbling. I'm sorry for that. My dreams can upset me terribly sometimes.

Christ's lesson of forgiveness smacks of unconditional love, like the love of a God fearing mother for her atheist son. It means, to be like him, we must forgive others, no matter what. This, I've grown to learn, can be exceptionally difficult.

The hardest thing for me to forgive is betrayal. It seems both foolhardy and masochistic to try to love those around you after they have shown that they can't be trusted, particularly if they carry on hurting you behind your back on a daily basis, for years.

But, to give in to such abuse and succumb to such behaviour, yourself, in some retaliatory fashion, is to let evil win over your heart. Fortunately, I have the example of Christ to remind me that my suffering could always be worse. And I am soothed when I let go of my bitterness and remember his sacrifice.

There may be only one thing harder than betrayal to forgive: wanting to help the poor, rather than wanting to be rich, in the service of your God. (Smoking tobacco runs a close second.) That was another lesson of Christ's crucifixion. Two thousand years later, I pray that we eventually learn it for good.

More Statements Scripts Songs

© 2010. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment