Thursday, October 14, 2010

Dope and Faith

Faith is subjective. It is personal. That is why no one else's faith should depend on mine. I see the universe in my own special way, after years and years of pot smoking.

The building blocks are the same, but we all use them differently, according to our individual priorities and abilities. One in my situation has been heavily influenced not just by his Catholic upbringing but by an ongoing need for Christian charity. It follows that I need Christ, in order to be good and to harness my full potential. But that's not necessarily the case for others. That's why I try so hard to present my beliefs in a passive way, stating repeatedly that I am not an evangelist.

Much of religion is structured around formalities, which can interfere with our ability to evaluate a person's goodness. We confuse the hats we wear with the thoughts underneath them until bigotry becomes inevitable. Under such conditions, it's likely that many who profess outwardly to follow Christ are unwittingly following his adversary.

I succumb to bigotry, myself, on occasion. As a straight man, in anger I might slip and use the word 'gay' to describe something I find undesirable. (But not the word 'lesbian'.) That leaves the door open for others attach a more hateful meaning to my words.

Knowing my belief system is personal helps me to cut others slack for their choices. I think it makes it easier to love them, even now that I no longer smoke pot.

More Statements Scripts Songs

© 2010. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment