Saturday, October 9, 2010

One for the Son

I'm sure I surprised some people who knew me from my younger days when I abandoned my faith in eternal life and went all-out atheist. I mistakenly thought it would make me more down-to-earth.

So much of our world seems to break down into particles and sub-particles. They play an important role, but they are not all that is out there. Reality is not limited by what we can only perceive through the customary five senses. And inspiration is not necessarily ultimately guided by the brain's balance of neurotransmitters. Such things might well be happening after the fact rather than on their own, in spite of appearances.

Such supernatural truths defy description, for they defy logic, which is the principle element on which the language needed to describe them is based - cockney rhyming slang excepted. Nietzsche often complained about the limitations of language in his astonishing works. Some truths transcend logic. They just are, much in the same way an artist's hand knows where to go in the execution of a portrait, without the need for mathematical reference points.

It was the echo of my old friend's voice, telling me that one is everything, which got me thinking again along these lines, and realizing that I had overlooked some important features of the story of Christ. Here was a man who reconciled all the evil that was thrown against him with a desire for self perfection, resulting in a crucifixion that preserved his glory for all time. This life has been the inspiration for countless others to follow in his footsteps and find peace in the centuries that have since passed. To his followers he has risen and lives in their hearts today, whatever any coroner or smart-assed atheist like my former self might have to say to the contrary.

For me this has become more than a comforting thought. It has become a likelihood. And, as corny as it sounds, it fills me with love for all humanity. You may escape your suffering by thinking of others. You may defeat evil with love. Because through the Saviour's life and example, all that surrounds you can be one with you, and you can be at its centre. That let's you see past the grave to the far greater possibilities of your limitless imagination.

Just don't go overboard with outdated laws and hygienic practises. That's where you start to lose me.

More Statements Scripts Songs

© 2010. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment