Sunday, October 10, 2010

Blessed by Heaven

It seems to add up that those with glorious places in the spiritual realm would be headed for a tough time here in the physical world, with the former, I gather, being free of impediments to love and self sacrifice. The most famous example is Christ, but he may have indicated in his the Sermon on the Mount that the meek, naturally inclined to love and to self sacrifice, having fallen prey to unscrupulous moneylenders and wound up broken and in poverty, would be saved by him.

Still, in order to be saved by him, we must think like him. I celebrated mass earlier today for the first time in a long time. As I swallowed the host, I tried to remember to let it nourish my heart over my body. It did. I felt my spirit rejuvenated by the experience and I went out to collect some more bread from the neighbouring mission to take home with me.

There I was among the blessed poor, lining up for my soup and sandwich. Except I was the only one smiling. And when it appeared that the available food was lacking in variety, I was the only one who gladly took from what was there and was grateful. Further to my point, I was the only one who attended the service among them. (I'm Catholic, too, but let's not push this.)

It could be that when you have God's love inside you because you are trying to be like him and think like him and, yes, even perhaps because you have just swallowed him in transubstantiated form, you feel like you have everything. When you have everything, you want for nothing.

More Statements Scripts Songs

© 2010. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment