Saturday, May 10, 2014

SNL: Ted Haggard's Allies

I often hear about how the TV 'took my laughs' and I wonder if anyone has yet noticed the subtle but important differences in how they presented these works. They were not all laughs. Some of those poems that they turned into comedy sketches were quite serious.

The best example might be The False Prophet, a poem I wrote to illustrate how a wealthy evangelist might end up in Hell for distorting the Word of God. This poem has a lesson to teach. It was not written for a laugh. When the TV turned it into a cheesy comedy sketch, the original meaning of my words were lost. How many other of my serious efforts are laughed away as comedy now as a result of such crimes? I shudder to contemplate it.

By reducing my poetic warning about the perils of dishonest preaching to a mere comedy script, it looks like the casts of shows like Saturday Night Live are Ted Haggard's allies. Who would have thought so until now?

More Statements Scripts Songs

© 2014. New statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment